SOUTH GOA

 
 

Guest Houses of South Goa

The Guest houses of South Goa are mostly concentrated along the South Goa coastline. Guest houses of South Goa are located on some of the most excellent and exotic beaches of Goa. The most beautiful and less crowded beaches of Goa are situated in South of Goa, that’s why majority of the 5 Star Hotels are operating here. South Goa has Romantic beaches, Cleaner beaches, Honeymoon beach, Butterfly beach, Island beaches, 5 Star beaches and the longest beach in Goa that is Colva beach. Majority of South Goa beaches are run and managed by the local Goan Catholic Community of Goa, so you get the opportunity to live in an Authentic Goan Guest house and get a firsthand experience of Goan Culture at home. John’s Highland Comforts Guest House is located near Majorda beach in South Goa.

Betul Beach
Betul Beach is a tiny and untouched beach located along the estuary of the Sal River. It is located about 30 km from the main commercial city of South Goa, Margao.  Betul Beach is enclosed by the village of Betul which is inhabited mainly by the fisherfolk community. 

 
 

Betul Beach
Betul Beach is a tiny and untouched beach located along the estuary of the Sal River. It is located about 30 km from the main commercial city of South Goa, Margao.  Betul Beach is enclosed by the village of Betul which is inhabited mainly by the fisherfolk community. 

Betul is a virgin beach free from the casual crowds of visiting tourists. Silvery sand with the secluded wild groves is seen at this beach. Visitors can blissfully enjoy the peaceful setting.

Cabo De Rama
This is a jutting piece of land or cape and this place has a historical fort that came under Portuguese control in 1763 and was later occupied by the British army between 1797-1813. Cabo de Rama was then a prison till 1955. Today, there is a small government post and church within the towering rampart walls of the fort. The fort and Cabo de Rama Point commands spectacular views of the coastline to both the south and north.

The Cabo De Rama fort located in the Canacona district of South Goa is yet another famous fort in India. The fort has an interesting story as to how it derived its name. It is said that Lord Rama of the famous Hindu epic Ramayana took shelter here with his wife Sita. This was during the time when they were banished from the kingdom and were sent on a 14 year long exile in the forests of India

Nossa Senhora De Fatima Chapel
Avery unusual and modern designed chapel that breaks all barriers of chapel architecture. Most of the churches and chapels were history’s inheritance by the Portuguese to Goa. This is the only chapel in the full of Goa that stands apart on all counts. It is different in design and structure. One can see ample evidence of fusion of different cultures on the wall motifs. Not to be missed chapel in Cuncolim village area. On the National Highway towards Margao city, take the right road towards Cuncolim and then the first approaching left towards Chandor. One cannot miss it in the junction of the next cross road.

Braganza House
The city of Chandor is famous for its many lavish Portuguese houses from the past. Most of the ancient houses from Portuguese period are surrounded around the church square. 

The Menezes Braganza House is one of the few Goan Mansions that allow visitors and tourists to have apeek in to the glorious past. The Braganza house takes up one side of Chandor’s village square. Yes it’s that huge. Built in the 17th Century, everything here is antique, the walls, the paints, the ceiling, and the flooring. It’s like walking the pages of history. Rosewood furniture, porcelain tiles from Macau, Italian marble and splendorous mosaic floors are found everywhere. This is a living museum, incomparable with the amount of treasures in everyday articles and furniture.

Mobor Beach 
Mobor lies on a narrow spit of sand dunes between the Arabian Sea and Assolna River Estuary. The pristine and serene beach is ideal for those who want a break from the madness of the city. Just relax with lot of sun tan lotion and get a marvelous tan on your skin. Relish the authentic Goan cuisine and fresh seafood at the beach side joints called beach shacks at very reasonable prices. There are provisions of beach umbrellas and reclining beach chairs for the convenience of the tourists.

Ancestral Goa
History beckons the visitor to an era - a century past, where time stands still and page after page in life size structures and statues turn testimony to the Goan cultural and traditional heritage. A vintage reproduction of Goa - as it existed under the colonial ambiance yet still retaining a checkered flavor of originality, Ancestral Goa - a museum of a mock - up village flanked by lush parkland, welcomes you.

Chandranath Hill Temple
Shri Chandreshwar Temple is a fantabulous temple that stands at Paroda, on Quepem Taluka hill top. It lies at an altitude of 359 m high, above the sea level. In the present times, it is popularly known as Chandor. This temple dates back to 17th century and it is dedicated to God of the Moon popularly called as Sri Chandreshwar. The main attraction of the temple is the Shiva Linga,(phallic symbol) which used to glow on every full moon night by the reflection of moonlight. Another attraction of the temple is an ancient chariot, which is famous for its beautiful wood carvings. This temple is a venue to festival like Maha Shiva Ratri that is celebrated with great pomp and show. This temple attracts many tourists, especially during the festive days. Tourists and devotees from all round the globe used to come to India and avail Goa tour to witness this pious place.

Tambdi Surla Temple
The most ancient temple in the whole of Goa is located at a place called Tambdi Surla. Tambdi Surla itself is in the midst of a forested area accessible via a 22 kms route from the main town of Valpoi in Sattari Taluka. The small, beautifully carved and perfectly proportioned black basalt temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is reminiscent of the temples at Aihole in neighbouring Karnataka. It is considered to be the only specimen of Kadamba-Yadava architecture in basalt stone preserved and available in Goa. 

The intricate carvings created by these craftsmen adorn the interiorand the sides of the building. The temple faces east so that the rays of the rising sun fall on the deity at the crack of dawn. Bas-relief figures of Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma, with their respective consorts appear on panels at the sides of the temple. 

The river Surla flows nearby and can be reached via a flight of stone steps. There is a headless Nandi (bull, Shiva's vehicle) in the centre of the mandap, surrounded by four matching columns. The symbol of the Kadamba kingdom, an elephant trampling a horse is carved on the base of one of the columns.

DudhSagar Waterfall
The magnificent DudhSagar Waterfall is perched in the high peaks of the Western Ghats and is a sight to behold especially in the monsoons when it is in full and furious flow. From a distance, the waterfall appears like streams of milk rushing down the mountainside. The exuberant and spectacular waterfall is located in the Sanguem taluka. 

Measuring a mighty 600m from head to foot, this waterfall on the Goa-Karnataka border, attracts a steady stream of visitors from the coast into the rugged Western Ghats. After pouring across the Deccan plateau, the headwaters of the Mandovi River form a foaming torrent that splits into three streams to cascade down a near-vertical cliff face into a deep green pool. 

The Konkani name for the falls, which literally translated means "sea of milk", derives from clouds of milky foam which rises up at the bottom of the falls. DudhSagar is set amidst breathtaking scenery overlooking a steep, crescent-shaped head of a valley carpeted with pristine tropical forest that is only accessible on foot or by train.

Chandranath Hill
Chandranath hill is another topographically-interesting feature. It comprises two hillocks of near-uniform contour height. One hillock is 300m and the other is 350m high. Scientists suggest a meteorite fell on Chandranath Mountain during the pre-historic period.

Partagal Mutt Temple
This Mutt headquartersearlier existed at Bhatkal in 1476 AD. Later (after the Samadhi of Swami Shrikanta Tirtha) shifted to Partagali village on the banks of the sacred river Kushavati in Goa known as  Gokarn-Partagali Mutt. This place is popularly known as Bramhasthan. After Swami Jeevothan Tirtha the Mutt is also called Jeevothan Mutt.  Present pontiff Vidhyadhiraj Tirtha succeeded to the Peetha in 1973. The Mutt has its headquarters at Partagali, Poinguinim, and Canacona in Goa. Close by is the banks of the Talpona river.  

Largest Banyan Tree in Goa
There is a giant Vatavriksha (Banyan tree) about 200 meters to the north of the Partagal Jeevothan Mutt with 220 aerial roots and total area admeasuring 235 feet x 225 feet and is believed to be 2000 years old. It can accommodate about 1000 people in its shade. 

Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary
Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary is located in the Canacona Taluka of South Goa. The best time to visit the sanctuary is from October to December. The sanctuary is open from 0700 till 1730 for visitors. The sanctuary has eight well laid out nature trails traversing it. There are six watchtowers in the sanctuary. Also there is one 'tree top', it is situated about 20 meters high on a tree overlooking a waterhole. Both the Gal and Talpona rivers of Canacona Taluka originate from the sanctuary.

At the entrance to the sanctuary there is an ecotourism complex which houses the nature interpretation centre, cottages, toilets, library, reception area, rescue centre, canteen and Range Forest Office.  The lesser-known animals in the sanctuary include the Flying Squirrel, Slender Loris, Indian Pangolin, Mouse Deer, Four-horned Antelope, Malabar Pit Viper, Hump-Nosed Pit Viper, White-bellied Woodpecker, Malabar Trogon, Velvet-fronted Nuthatch, Heart-spotted Woodpecker, Speckled Piculet, Malayan Bittern, Draco or Flying Lizard, Golden-back Gliding Snake and Malabar Tree Toad.

Cabo De Rama Fort
Long land that juts into the sea, takes its name from the hero Ram of the Hindu epic, "The Ramayana", hence the name Cabo De Rama. Not far from Agonda beach is Cabo de Rama, untouched by most of the visitors in this region.

The atmosphere of the fort creates a sense of history and drama that very few would fail to appreciate. According to the local legends, Rama stayed here with his wife Sita during the period of 12-year exile. This place has a very short coastline bordered by the remains of the fort and hence very rocky and not suitable for swimming.

Conco Island (Canacona Island or Monkey Island)
Conco Island is a wooded island, which is pre-aged to the bay of Palolem. The island is also under the name of Canacona Island or Monkey Island, since over there monkeys live, which withdraw themselves into the adjacent forests. The island can be reached at low-tide simply by a very short swim or by wading across in knee deep waters during low tide. Also there are regular boat rides to Monkey Island, for those who don’t want to get their feet wet. 

Talpona River
Talpona River originates in the dense, mixed jungles of Ravan Dongor (Demon Hill) in between Nane and Kuskem on the Sahyadri Mountains. It comes down by passing Bhatpal, fed by the tributary, and drains into the Arabian Sea near the village of Talpona in Canacona Taluka. The river develops a length of around 31 kms. It has three other tributaries named Nadke, Gaondongrem, and Khalwade.  

Chapoli Dam
The place surrounding the Chapoli Dam in Canacona is a wonderful eco – tourist spot. Chapoli in Canacona is blessed with natural beauty. This is a very small dam surrounded by small rolling hills in the backdrop.  Lot of fishing activity goes on around these dam waters. 

Mallikarjun Temple
The Mallikarjun Temple is at Shristhal, some 2.5 km away from Chaudi on the main-road leading to Karwar and is one where devotees head for advice from oracles called the 'kaul'. The advice of the oracles is taken either from priests in a trance or by them interpreting the way flower petals drop down. Locally, Mallikarjun is a popular deity, as visible from the names of local educational institutions. This centuries-old temple was renovated in 1778. 

Chaudi Saturday local market
Chaudi also known as Chauri or Canacona is situated at about 33 km south of Margao. It is the main center of the Canacona district. It is mainly visited when one wants to get to Palolem, which is situated 2 km west. To the northeast of the town at about 1.5 km stands the new railway station.

Chaudi has a church known as the Saint Theresa of Jesus Church. It also has a famous market where one can get a lot of spices and all other necessary provisions. There are a number of restaurants that serve good South Indian food and other tasty dishes and drinks. There are some good hotels also for accommodation nearby. 

Dolphin Sighting
Dolphins frequent the waters around Palolem and can often be seen showing off their acrobatics from the beach. Dolphin trips can be arranged where the boat trip organizers can guarantee a sighting - if you are lucky enough you may even find them swimming in the sea with you! 

Honeymoon Beach
A little ahead of Butterfly Beach lies another exotic cove hidden excellently between two hills. Locally and popularly known as Honeymoon Beach because it is not accessible by foot and only the adventurous few venture to discover it. This hidden beach is favourite amongst lovers and newly weds because the whole beach is to oneself where one can dare to do skinny dipping, full body tan or just do something wild amidst nature. 

Butterfly beach
Towards the north along the waters lies a natural marvel called the Butterfly Island. The distance from the main land is not more than 200 m and a short boat ride is good enough to reach the island. The isolation acts a blessing in disguise as the island offers a secluded beach to the visitors all with its solitary charm and the thrills of any other Goan beach sans the overcrowded and over polluted stretches of sand. The dolphins are extra acrobatic in the waters surrounding the island. Low tides would create a vast canvas on the beach which is painted by the designer footsteps of crabs and goldfishes. Canoe ride along the tiny water streams on the island provide a thrilling ride.